STRATHAM, NH, February 12, 2018 — It’s well-known that practicing green behaviors is good for the environment, but new survey findings from Timberland reveal that it could also spark romance. With a longstanding love for the environment, the outdoor lifestyle brand today released its 2018 Eco-Love Survey results, revealing four-in-five Americans find it attractive when someone practices eco-conscious behaviors. This Valentine’s Day, put down the phone, pull on your boots and head outdoors (or hop in a ride share) – it just may increase your chances of finding your bae.
Timberland surveyed 1,000 men and women in the U.S. to understand the importance of being eco-conscious in finding true love. The results speak for themselves – green is the new red for Valentine’s Day. A few highlights from the 2018 Timberland Eco-Love Survey, and tips to help increase your love connection include:
· Save Water, Share a Shower. Top green behaviors Americans find attractive include keeping an eco-conscious home by conserving water, tending a garden or turning off lights when not in use (46%); and considering the environmental impact of the products they buy (33%).
· Don’t Overlook the Eco-Fashionistas in Your Life. One-in-five Americans say they would like to receive stylish shoes or clothing made from recycled materials (20%) or lingerie made from organic cotton (19%) as a gift from their significant other.
· Volunteer Your Way into their Heart. Now, more than ever, making a difference in your community could also make a difference in your love life. Americans are 37 percent more likely today than in 2012 to say volunteering for environmental causes makes a person attractive (26% vs. 19%). This is especially true of women, who are 36 percent more likely than men to want to meet someone in this fashion (42% vs. 31%).
· Grab a Lift. Simple, everyday green behaviors could win over that special person’s heart. Roughly one-in-10 Americans say they’d like to meet someone during a ride share, but it’s probably not the best choice for a first date. One-in-five say they may not consider a second date if they were picked up in a ride share.
· Love is in the Fresh Air. If you find yourself unlucky in love, you might consider heading outdoors. Nearly three-fifths of people surveyed say they would want to meet someone while enjoying outdoor leisure activities and 59 percent say they are attracted to people who spend time outdoors.
· Stand Up for the Planet. You might even find the love of your life while you’re advocating for the planet. One-in-10 men and nearly as many women say they’d like to meet someone at an activist event like a protest or boycott.
· Most Eligible Eco-lebrity. When it comes to the most datable eco-conscious celebrities, Leonardo DiCaprio (19%), Emma Watson (18%), Adam Levine (17%) and Miley Cyrus (10%) top the list.
“As Earthkeepers, good is at the heart of everything we do – whether that means making our products more responsibly, or making our communities stronger,” said Alison Crowley, global brand manager for Timberland. “With the Eco-Love survey, we’ve found that doing good can also be a way to help make a love connection with someone who shares your values. When it comes to dating, it seems that sustainability is in style.”
To learn more about Timberland’s commitments to create responsible products, protect the outdoors and serve communities around the globe, and to review the full findings of Timberland’s Eco-Love Survey, visit timberland.com/responsibility.
Timberland is a global leader in the design, manufacturing and marketing of premium footwear, apparel and accessories for the outdoor lifestyle. Best known for its original yellow boot introduced in 1973, Timberland today outfits consumers from toe-to-head, with versatile collections that reflect the brand’s rich heritage of craftsmanship, function and style. Timberland markets lifestyle products under the Timberland® and Timberland Boot Company® brands, and industrial footwear and workwear under the Timberland PRO® brand. Its products are sold throughout the world in leading department and specialty stores as well as company-owned retail locations and online. Timberland’s dedication to making quality products is matched by an unwavering commitment to environmental and social responsibility – to make things better for its products, the outdoors, and communities around the globe. To learn more about Timberland, a brand of VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC), please visit timberland.com or follow us along the modern trail @timberland.
# # #